Skip to main content

Lung Cancer Awareness Month... My Story

"Oh dear... he is smoking... I should move to the other side of the room."

"Please do not light that cigarette around me."

"I can smell the smoke on you."

These are all very familiar sentences running through people's head whenever there is a smoker nearby. I can relate because this is how I react whenever I smelt the remnants for cigarettes. In fact I use to break people's cigarettes just before they lit it because I thought it was my way of saving people. That was also before I became aware of all the other factors that caused cancer. 

For me cancer is a very personal and serious issue. My father died from lung cancer when I was 23. He was a smoker and though he was aware of the dangers smoking caused, his addiction was stronger than his will to keep himself healthy. When he passed I hated to see anyone smoking around me. Even to this day I look at smokers and I am amazed that they actually light a cigarette and put it to their mouth, inhale that black smoke into their lungs and pretend that everything is going to be alright. 

CANCER had the ability to take lives and hurt alot of people in the process. It is a constant battle for anyone fight cancer and I an always at awe to how brave and faithful these people are. I do prayer and wish them all the best with a good recovery!!

Recently a fellow blogger, Heather Von St. James, asked me to share my support for the Lung Cancer Awareness Month. Therefore, along with my personal loss, I would like this opportunity to bring some awareness to Mesothelioma.
Mesothelioma is caused by asbestos exposure. Mesothelioma generally results from occupational asbestos exposure, but there are instances of environmental exposure that can also cause the disease. Often times a family member can be affected indirectly by secondhand exposure from an asbestos worker’s soiled work clothes.

Read more: http://www.mesothelioma.com/mesothelioma/causes/#ixzz3Jzlf9coN


The more aware people are of how these diseases are caused the easier it is for them to take the necessary steps to avoid exposure and/or start early treatment. 

For further information please click on the following links to understand Mesothelioma and the symptoms. 
http://www.mesothelioma.com/mesothelioma/causes/
http://www.mesothelioma.com/mesothelioma/symptoms/

Thank you and remember... please help support the right against cancer.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Version of Fall.

I have been seeing on other blogs beautiful pictures of the ever changing and eye stimulating Fall season. Honestly living in Trinidad limits your experiences of the changing seasons and seeing how spring turns to summer to fall and then winter. All I have is endless summer greenery. All I have is the constant warm weather and lush green rain forests. So I have been living vicariously through other blog admiring the Fall pictures and sometimes questioning if it is really true. Then I had a beautiful sunny day yesterday and got to spend the day just lying on a beach and soaking in the sun. So I decided to give you all my version of Fall. And see what we get during the Fall Season. Enjoy.  I visited a beach house in Blanchisseuse Beach and it was attached to 3 different bays. It was fun just splashing in the waves, and fun exploring each bay in the warming sun. This was a bird's eye view of the bay that had clear green water and little watery caves to hide under. My son...

Family Traditions!!!!

If it is one thing I look forward to around this time is the Carreira's Christmas Tree Family Tradition! Founded by ME :) my sisters and my mom started visiting (or going house to house) homes to help decorate the Christmas Tree as well as decorate the home. When my son was not even a year old was when this tradition began... in my home in Port of Spain. Now 8 years later it has become a Family get together, food and drinks sharing .... and putting up the decorations. I LOVE it. Coming from a home with many siblings (3 brother and 3 sister ... most married with children) it is great when most gather and the house is filled with everyone. Lets just say it is a lot of laughs, bickering, laughs ... silent moments when our mouths are filled with food ... and then delegation on the work area. Did I mention I LOVE it. So here are some pics of the end result. My home is now filled with Christmas ... and I have to start wrapping present. :) This picture shows my mom, a...

Anticipating Grenada!

As most mothers and parents secretly wish, Getting away without the kids is usually hard to accomplish. But this weekend my husband and I eagerly await, A vacation in Grenada for 2, we were able to create!!!! I cannot wait for the clear blue sea, I cannot wait for it to be just him and me. I cannot wait for the sunny sky, To just lie on the beach and watch the day go by. I wish for all to be able to see, How important it is for the adults to be free. To take some time and enjoy just being together, Making sure they remember why they chose to be ... forever. My countdown for Grenada is on.... 3 days to go!!!